It was early Tuesday evening when we arrived, exhausted but exhilarated as always. The flat is beautiful, the weather mild and we bought groceries and ate pizza and fell asleep. When dawn broke, I stretched and yawned and silently cursed the screeching birds and prepared to get up. I grabbed a device to check the time and it was 3:30. Yes, morning comes freaking early this far north and the bedroom window mini blinds do little to block the light. Here is what I know so far --- 1. Not everyone here is a blue-eyed blond, but the percentage is very high. Much to my liking, the hair I have always hated, my stick-straight, baby fine hair is the norm! I envy none. 2. Not everyone speaks English. We simply haven't come across anyone who doesn't. 3. Like the rest of Europe, excellent mass transit but with a twist - it's the honor system. What! Can you imagine that in NYC? The Danes are a rule following people. There can be no cars in sight and they will still wait for the walk...
Juhannes - midsummer night, a celebration of the shortest night (which got Christianized as an event honoring John the Baptist, thus the name) was celebrated here in Helsinki on the evening of the 24th and the 25th. As the young woman at the tourist office said, this holiday is as important as Christmas. Flower crowns are worn and most are delightfully wild. The city begins to shut down on the Thursday before. Buses run weekend schedules, stores close by no later than 2 on Friday and most people leave town to a cottage up north, to cook out, sauna, drink and have a bonfire. Here in the city, the "outdoor museum" on Seurasaari I sland, presents a celebration that is steeped in history and is very family friendly. Costumed musicians, singers and dancers perform. The woman to the right of the accordion is playing the bird call. There is plenty of opportunity for the visitors to get involved, as in the "may pole" dance. And it wouldn't be Finland without some me...
Three days in St. Petersburg is hardly getting to know Russia, but here are some observations -- The Russians we talked to (and English is not commonly spoken, even in the heart of the tourist area) want Americans to know that we have nothing to fear from Putin. They say he's a good man, a sincere man. I'm not sure if they love Putin or they simply dont want to go back to a Cold War. There were lots of souvenir stands around, but the ones in The Hermitage plaza did not carry Putin T shirts. I feel sure they were not allowed, as their meaning could be misinterpreted as making fun instead of deeply respecting. Of course, some people love Putin and think the western leaders are idiots. We also saw a shirt with Obama as a turd which said "Don't forget to flush." I read often that Russians aren't friendly and seem dour (which I also read about Finns) and we saw no evidence of that. It may be that people in the hospitality industry are just very hospitable. ...
Comments
Post a Comment